When I think of the 1980’s, I think
about digital sounds, big hair, bold and colorful make-up, leg warmers, and
bright non-symmetrical clothing. Tina Turner’s “What’s Love Got to Do with It”
a great start into the sounds of the 80s.
“Jump” by Van Halen is an amazing piece of 80s music, you can see the
wonderful tight colorful clothing paired with very saturated lighting styles
seen in the video below. You can hear the synthesized sounds that I believe
define the 80s with very sexy dance moves and obviously the musicians are
performing for the camera.
It was interesting listening to
“Lady” by Kenny Rogers, even though the synthesized sounds are still heard; Rogers’s
age is not what I think of when I think of the 80s. First, I know there where plenty of older
musicians in the 1980’s, but I generally think of the younger musicians when I
think of popular music of the 80s. I think of “Thriller” by Michael Jackson,
“Like a Virgin” by Madonna and “When Doves Cry” by Prince as popular 80s sounds
and artists. I feel like the 80s was all about American musicians that are
following a very free loving decade of the 70s.
Thus the music continue to become more sexy and the videos can also
reflect the sexual appeal of the 80s.
As we continue into the later 1980s
and into the 1990s, the rap starts to make an impact on the music industry with
songs like “Walk This Way” performed by Run-D.M.C., “Night of the Living
Baseheads” by Public Enemy, and “What’s My Name” by Snoop Doggy Dog. I don’t
understand why rap artists feel the need to use vulgar language to express
themselves, but I’m not a big fan.
Overall, the 80s do have a lot to
offer and to share with students. There is a number of great songs in the 1980s
that are appropriate for the classroom and there is a lot that is very
inappropriate. Due to MTV and all the music videos that surfaced in the 80s
most students relate well to watching and listening to music, which helps
engage students. Students can also compare videos and sounds from the 80s to
current music.
No comments:
Post a Comment