I have to say, one of the biggest
things I noticed while listening this week is how much recording quality
changed over a very short amount of time. While listening to “Castle House Rag”
recorded in 1914, I was looking along at the form guide with descriptions and
had a hard time picking out the violin sound. The drums were very clear and
very military/marching band sounding, which is common for the time. Due to the
lack of microphones and good recording technology at the time of this
recording, it makes sense that the sounds are not very clear. The violin and
piano were lost for me when I first listened, I had to really focus on the
sound I was searching to hear all the instruments.
With the invention and creation of
radio, sound films and microphones in the 1920’s, it is amazing how much the
sound changes. The recordings from “My Blue Heaven,” April Showers,” and “I Got
Rhythm” are much clearer than what was heard in “Castle House Rag.” Though it
is nice to hear the almost cracking, record like sound of the music, which
makes you feel like you are in a different place.
It was fun looking up videos of the
pieces in this weeks listening. Watching people like Al Jolson and Ethel Merman
perform is absolutely amazing. Having students watch these performances and
compare what they saw would be a great listening activity. Much can be learned
by watching and taking notes on what makes these performances engaging to the
audience. Students rarely get the opportunity to see and witness this level of
musicianship with today’s music. It would be interesting to see if students
would notice the lack of microphones and flashy lights and sounds that they are
accustomed to.
I feel my chorus would gain
knowledge about how the performers personality assists in keeping the audience
engaged in the music. My students have a difficult time understanding that they
control the mood and overall feel with their voices. Having students observe
some of the greats would be a wonderful exercise for students.
There is a quote from Starr and
Waterman (pp. 117) that stuck with me, “If popular songs endure at all, they
endure most commonly as touchstones for nostalgia. Precisely because they
capture the flavor of their time so tellingly.” The songs we have listened to
this week does make me think of another time and a different world of music. “I
Got Rhythm” is 85 years old, but is still a song that many people can sing a
bit of without thinking. I wonder if the composers and artists of the 1920’s
knew their songs would stand the test of times? It will be interesting what
current music will stand the test of times and what will be forgotten.
References
Starr,
L. & Waterman, C. (2013). American
popular music: From
minstrelsy to MP3 (4th
ed.). New York: Oxford University Press
(ISBN:978-0-19-985911-5).
No comments:
Post a Comment